Thursday, May 21, 2009

Who wants a Vera Wang gown, when you could have roadside daisies?

It’s hard to stay sad when everyone around you is so happy! With the Arkansas boy taking AI last night, everyone around here is just plain giddy. That’s awesome! I’m surrounded by smiley people, and I like it! My work spouse just brought me a fresh diet coke, and I have my heater on under my desk keeping me nice and toasty. Life’s good.

A friend of mine told me yesterday that my “man hunt is like a good book that you can’t put down.” Apparently, I have several friends that are living vicariously through me, and are thoroughly enjoying my daily updates of the men circling my single mama camp. I’ve been reading Ms. Single Mama (MSM)’s blog for a while now, and I’m constantly amazed at the men who actually prefer women who are mothers over childless single women (CSW).

At first, I had the same mentality that Peas had when she was newly single. I wondered “Who is going to want THIS?” I mean, having a child consumes a HUGE part of a woman…her time, her heart, her resources…and it was baffling to think about what man in his right mind would want a part of that. However, the more I date, the more I find that men are not put off by that at all…in fact, MSM is right. They seem to prefer it. Single mothers have a lot of qualities and mannerisms not found in CSW. When a man calls a CSW, he has her undivided attention. She can talk all night about herself. When he calls a single mom, chances are, he’ll hear:
Kid: “MOOOOM!”
Mom: “um, can you hang on a second?”
Him: “Uh, sure.”
Mom: “What, baby?”
Kid: “I’m thirsty.”
Mom: “There’s juice in the fridge. You know where it is.”
Kid: “I know, but I want YOU to get it.”
Mom: “Ugh. Ok, but for real. You know how to help yourself next time, ok?”
Kid: “Ok mom. I love you!”
Mom: “I love you too!”
Mom: “ok, sorry, I’m back.”
And if he has any amount of heart at all, that whole little detour didn’t annoy him, but made him smile. He regularly gets a glimpse into the most important part of her world, just from listening to her go about her life, while he sits, watches, and waits. It’s like watching something so beautiful that you just can’t look away. And she won’t talk all night about herself…without a doubt, less than 5 minutes will go by before she mentions her kid, or she’ll come up with a story that she just has to share because it’s just too precious not to. When she’s talking about her kid, the sound and inflection in her voice changes. She softens, she relaxes, and she gushes about that one little person who makes her world go round. He sees her strength, her courage, her endurance…and what he doesn’t know is that she’s sitting, patiently waiting to be swept off her feet by someone who wants to make her life easier because she really is just THAT amazing… A CSW dreams of a man who will buy her a new house and watch her walk down the isle in an amazing Vera Wang wedding gown. A single mom dreams of a man who will do the dishes and take her kid for a walk, returning with a bouquet of hand-picked flowers. So yeah…what man wouldn’t want a woman like that?

No comments:

Post a Comment