Friday, May 15, 2009

The Surrogate Moms

The environment where you work is probably very unique and different from any other place you’ve been…I haven’t had an overwhelming number of jobs as an adult, really only 5 since I was 19. Today, I was reflecting on the dynamics of how a work environment can be so drastically different from place to place.

My work environment here is different from any other that I’ve ever been in. I have the big boss, who is like my dad. He pesters me, but clearly cares about me as a person. Then, in my immediate area, I have my Moms. Yes, my moms. I work with 5 women who have literally worked here longer than I’ve been alive. Each of them could feasibly be my mother. I’m the young ‘en in the roost. So, if someone needs help figuring out their cell phone, email, or other tech gizmo, I’m the go-to gal. (not that I know much about them, but I seem to help them out…) At any rate, my Moms take a very active interest in my personal life. Every few days, they get an update on my Basket Cases.

Today, we talked more about Mr. Starfish. I spent most of the day with him yesterday, and I’m thinking that maybe he’s not such a wrong match after all… I have no doubt that he would treat me like a princess, each and every day. I know he thinks about me all the time, and he knows how important the little things are. One example is Tuesday. This past Tuesday, while I was in class, I got a text from Mr. Starfish. Out of the blue. All it said was “Has anyone told you today just how beautiful you are.” I mean, wow. It totally melted me. I have always wanted “that” guy, and now that he could be possibly dangling right in front of me, I don’t know what to do!

Part of the job of being a Mom is taking care of your young and trying to make sure they do what is right. One of the Moms is very vocal about the fact that she thinks Mr. Starfish and I should just spend time together, but that I should keep my distance. The other Moms haven’t really had an opportunity to give me feedback. I know he wants me to be his girlfriend…all I have to do is get there myself. It means that I have to trust again, and that’s effin’ hard to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment